INFORMATION FOR APPLICANT
THE RB CHORALE 2017 MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP
May 4, 2017
The RB Chorale, Inc., has been providing Scholarship Awards for 42 years and announces its intent in 2017 to again offer SIX (6) Scholarship Awards. A total of $15,000 will be given to musically talented San Diego County high school graduating students. Eligible candidates are those that plan to attend a college or university to further their musical education in musical performing arts. Any field of musical endeavor is eligible: voice, string, wind, percussion (no combos), or any other solo instrument.
This notice provides an outline of the selection process for Awards to be presented at the RB Chorale shows on June 9 and June 10, 2017. The performance venue is the Poway Center for the Performing Arts (PCPA). Awards totaling $6,500 are divided between three (3) participants each performance evening. Note that this is not a cash award.
The finalist selection is accomplished by the following four-step process:
- Applications must be received by the RB Chorale with a postmark no later than April 10, 2017. The Chorale Scholarship Committee reviews the application and notifies each candidate by mail of his/her time to appear for audition and interview.
- The candidate auditions for the RB Chorale Board of Directors in Rancho Bernardo, on Saturday morning April 29, 2017, starting at 9:30 AM. Note that the candidate MUST be present on the ASSIGNED day and time – NO other day or time is available. Inform us in advance of a major schedule conflict, where you prefer a morning or afternoon time. We will do our best to accommodate you.
Your presentation is limited to FIVE (5) minutes, and memorization is to your benefit.
- Following the audition, the candidate interviews briefly with the Chorale Scholarship Committee regarding information submitted in the application.
- A point value system is applied to areas of musical talent, selection of material, showmanship, appearance, presentation length, memorization and interpretation of the music, scholastic record, financial need, and future plans to further your musical education.
The six (6) candidates with the highest combined point total are notified of their selection as finalists. The Chorale Board assigns three (3) to perform and compete on Friday night, June 9 and the other three on Saturday night, June 10, 2017.
Amounts awarded to each finalist following their performance in the show are determined by audience ballot voting the same evening.
Note that the recipient must be enrolled in an undergraduate music curriculum at an accredited college or university to receive their funds. Following receipt of notice of enrollment from the proper school official, the RB Chorale forwards a check in the amount of the award to the school financial office for credit to the student’s account. Scholarship Awards must be used within one year from date awarded.
Additional application forms are available from your school Career Counselor/ Scholarship/Music Counselors, or directly from the RB Chorale by calling Keith Cheney, (858) 748-1273, or from Chorale President Leisl Sanchez at (858) 344-1123.
Forms are also easily filled in at the Chorale’s web site : www.rbchorale.org
Your application package must include the following (typed if possible):
– PLEASE READ CAREFULLY –
- Your completed application form.
- A summary up to 300 words written by you, describing your general and musical qualities and your scholastic plans. If you indicate talent in more than one musical instrument, please specify the one in use for the competition.
- A letter up to 100 words from a parent or guardian, presenting your family’s financial situation. Failure to furnish a financial statement is cause for a reduction in points in your evaluation.
- A copy of your high school scholastic record.
- Letters of recommendation from your music teacher, and a friend or school official. Additional supporting documents may be included if desired.
Place these documents in a cover folder and mail by April 10, 2017 to:
Leisl Sanchez, President of the RB Chorale
PO Box 227, Poway, CA 92074
R.B. CHORALE, INC.
Keith Cheney, Scholarship Chairman